Sunday, March 17, 2013

SoL 8: Radio Waves


How come we are still using a radio? When I tried to listen to the radio, all I got was poor quality audio that was unsatisfactory to my ears. My question is, after all these years, how come the radio hasn’t been forced to follow the same pattern as the other tech companies, which is innovate or die? I mean, I feel like radio technology is the same as it was when it came out, only with more channels. The quality of it is just as bad where there are spots of interference. How come we can’t figure out a way to fix these problems? I mean, as humans, we have sent a freaking rover to mars in search of alien life, but we can’t figure out a way to improve a staple technology?
My other question is, if the radio is so poor quality, why are we still listening to it? With the outbreak of online streaming services, we can listen to almost any song we want too with no interference or static. With the smartphone influenza that has recently broke out, nearly everyone has some sort of personal music device, yet we are still the old-fashioned radio in cars and other vehicles. My only question is, why?

1 comment:

  1. Your questions are really interesting, Brian. We have had the radio for such a long time, and besides adding channels, there is no change. While radios themselves have changed (letting us have them in our cars), the technology behind it has not. I think the main reason for that is because there is no need for change. Innovation is often spurred by a certain need or conflict, which is actually why a united ancient China didn't have a revolution in science like the West. In response to your other question, it is just easier to listen to radio. For those who don't have unlimited data, radio provides a free source of music, and I guess the selection on the radio is far greater than what you would have access to on your personal device.

    ReplyDelete